Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Photojournalists View: What I want for Christmas

Many of you will ask why would this guy want THIS for Christmas. It's simple, I once had a skill that not everyone could do.


I want to go back to the good old days when photos ran big and it took skill to make a photo that told a story.

I want to go back to the good old days when you focused the camera yourself.

I want to go back to the good old days when the photo you made magically appeared in the developer under your fingers. It took skill to make a great print.

I want to go back to the good old days when it took skill for YOU to figure out the exposure not the camera.

I want to go back to the good old days when mom and dad were NOT allowed on the sideline taking snaps of their kids. If the camera did not do it for them they would not be there.

I want to go back to the good old days when the newspaper kept up with photo gear changes and always kept the staff well equipped.

I want to go back to the good old days when GOOD photography was appreciated. Not like today when any old crap will run.

I want to go back to the good old days when a full photo staff was cranking out tons of beautiful art to illustrate the stories writers were working on.

I want to go back to the good old days when Craig's List was not around and every newspaper had a great classified ad section.

I want to go back to the good old days when everyone paid to read the paper.

Imagine if you will, shooting a hockey game back in the 80's. No nets around the rink (hey if you got hit, you were there at your own risk). The light was like a cave, ASA 1600 was barely enough, 3200 was a better push. If you don't know what I'm talking about you own a dummy camera and can stop reading now. Follow focusing on the hockey game with a 200 2.8 was a challenge and you were blessed to come out after two rolls of film with five good shots.

Not so today when the rink is enclosed with netting and you have to shoot through milky glass and are bumping into mom and dad taking snaps of their kids. Hey, what should I set this camera on? I say, auto everything dummy and see what you get. Then they say oh I just give the photos away to the kids. Good thing, because no one will buy them. This just kills me because they are taking bread out of my kids mouths. It used to be that people would call the paper and order prints which eventually made it into my paycheck. I ask the mom or dad. What do you do for a living? They say, oh I own a store downtown. So I usually say so that's how you can afford that great gear. How about I open up a store right next to yours and give away what you sell for free! The dumbstruck looks I get would make you laugh.

Some food for thought during this Christmas season.

Oh ya, I almost forgot.

Have a wonderful MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.



1 comments:

southshorelimey 9:05 AM  

Amen, Brother Kirk!